Saturday 26 July 2014

Ways to hang a wall quilt

There are a number of different ways to hang your wall quilts and I have put examples of four methods on each side of the small wall hanging I have done for my course work.

 Strange it may seem to have hanging mechanisms on each side of the hanging but this is because I have to demonstrate various methods of hanging a quilt.  I realised that I can also use it to present my edging samples.


First there is the hanging sleeve which most of us have done at some time and some of us used that method for our mini wall hanging of the little house. Here you can see it on the bottom of the picture.  I also used a hanging sleeve for my scrap house quilt.  It is basically a tube a little narrower than the width of the wall hanging and cut at about 8" in depth.  Neaten the edges then the strip is folded in half and sewn to the top of the hanging before the binding is attached securing it neatly in place.  The bottom of the sleeve is then pushed up into a pleat and hand sewn along the bottom.  Test how much pleat to push up by trying some dowelling in the sleeve and making sure when the bottom is sewn in place the sleeve does not peep over the top of the wall hanging.

Secondly you can use loops and the ones shown here are sewn on by hand with a button at the front.  They are 2" wide and were made as a tube cut into sections and the ends turned in.  Just make sure they are all exactly the same length and sewn on at exactly the same distance from the edge so that the wall hanging is level.  They should be no more than 8" apart.

My third example is corner tabs at the top left and right into which a piece of dowelling can be inserted.  these are made by folding a 6" square diagonally and sewing the raw edges to the top corners of the hanging before binding.  Once the dowelling is inserted some cord is attached which can be hung on a single wall hook.

Finally I have sewn hook and loop Velcro along one side of the hanging.  


 
 









A piece of baton fixed to the wall with another piece of Velcro is how this would work.

Here I have used my demonstration piece as a means of presenting my edging samples.

 The remaining edging samples and the label will be described in my next post.




No comments:

Post a Comment