Friday 1 August 2014

Happy Endings

As I have been preparing for Quilting Arts on Sunday and then for three days away with my lovely youngest daughter I have had to put the course work on hold again for a while.

But I did manage to get the edgings samples completed and a method of presentation for them worked out.

Because I had to demonstrate some techniques for hanging quilts I decided to use this wall hanging arrangement with different hanging techniques on all four sides and this has doubled as my presentation method. 

Some of you will know that my large quilt hanger went walkabout when we had the Art & Craft Exhibition but you will see from the photo that I got it back in the end.

I described some edging methods in an earlier blog but the remaining samples had to have a variety of decorative finishes so I edged one with lace, another with prairie points and a third with ribbon.

For the lace edged sample I started with two different colours and some wadding in between. Begin by pinning and sewing the lace around the edges.

Push the lace outwards and press, then take the contrast backing and pin it around the edges over the wadding with a small turning.  Hand sew to cover the seam, see the pink backing in the photo here.

Press carefully making sure the iron is not too hot to damage the edging.

As you can see this example looks pretty on the back and the front.  In fact I pinned it to my presentation wall hanging the wrong way round at first then had to take it off and turn it to the right side.

As far as the other two samples are concerned:  you may remember we covered Prairie Points as a demonstration a couple of months ago at Quilting Arts.  However they are such a useful decorative technique I think we should do something specific with them later on and because describing the method needs a blog post all to itself it won't be covered here today.

My final edging sample was the green one shown at the top right of the wall hanging above.  I used ribbon attached as a flat piping inset.  The method is the same as we used in our little house wall hangings and also as is shown in the latest worksheet on making placemats.  As we are covering this currently I won't describe the method here.

On my return from Cardiff I will be making up a table runner for my course work.  This has some interesting patchwork details which I will describe on the blog as I do them.




No comments:

Post a Comment