Friday 14 November 2014

Patchwork & Quilting Course almost complete

Lots of writing up and presentation to do now but wonderful to get my approval today for the course work and for my final assessment piece - the quilt which I have called Aroma Therapy.

The story is that I had to choose a design of my own from early in the course and I had developed several themes around some drawings of a cracked garden pot.  After developing the drawings the pots began to look a bit Asian and made me think they could be used for perfume or spices.

Later this theme was developed further after seeing real and photographed ceramic bottles and pots in lovely shapes and colours.

The plant is Myrtle which is used in many perfumes.

The quilt is made from silk and is a patchwork base of a very simple design which forms a background for the quilting, the applique and the 3D leaves, stems and flowers.

The quilted background is a repeated bottle shape, some of them with the original crack, and curling perfume vapours emerging from the quilted and the appliques bottles and jars.

It is backed with silk and the binding and hanging loops are silk.  The wadding is low loft cotton.  The thread I used was polyester as silk is very strong and needs a comparable strength in the thread.

The quilt is a wall hanging (not a bed quilt) and measures approximately 36" by 54".

I have to assemble the final Course Book and Portfolio to complete this course and then I plan to start my Level 3 Machine Embroidery with School of Stitched Textiles and I am pleased to say the same tutor will still be guiding my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment