Friday 7 March 2014

Baltimore Applique

My last few days have been overtaken by working on a Baltimore Applique sample for my course.  It has been time consuming and patience testing.  But I have done it and am now planning the final sample for this module - a dimensional applique.  The experience of the last few days has taught me that Baltimore Applique is probably not something I will choose to do very often if at all (life is too short).  But I know I will enjoy creating the dimensional flower as I have made some before and have plans to add these to a future project.
 
Here is the Baltimore Applique finished block:
 
Each piece is drawn on freezer paper, cut out and ironed on to the wrong side of the fabric.  Fabric is then cut out with a 1/4" seam allowance then tacked to the freezer paper before appliqueing to the background using tiny invisible stitches.
 
One hard lesson I learned.  If using poly-cotton thread for tacking, do not iron with a hot iron as the polyester in the thread melts and sticks to the fabric and is impossible to remove!
 
These photos below show my preparation work for the 3D dimensional flower I am going to make next.  With luck comments and photos of completed work will follow in a little while
 
 Dimensional Flowers would look very pretty on a bag.  I have to design a bag now for the next part of my course and I wonder if this would be a popular idea for the Quilting Group later on after we have completed our Kathrine Geurrier Scrap House Quilts.  Let me know what you think.

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment