Friday 20 June 2014

Carry On Quilting

The second panel of my interpretation of the Scrap House Quilt is quilted.  I have used a variety of methods including free motion, normal machine stitching, fancy built-in stitches and some pieces left without any quilting at all.

It's hard work because the different areas of the quilt have their own character which needs to be echoed by the quilting.  So a lot of variety, imagination and innovation is needed.

But it's certainly not boring.  I don't think I could ever make a conventional quilt with the same patchwork repeated time and again all over it because to me that would be the pinnacle of boredom.

So the scrap house quilt idea is demanding in terms of having to think about it all the time and having to keep making decisions about what next.

It's very colourful.


One thing I have discovered about the house blocks, if you don't want to put masses of quilting on the house walls to keep them from bubbling, use some spray starch on them to make them nice and crisp.

This project is really good practice for machine embroidery, and trying out new stitched shapes is not too frightening because it all blends together and looks good even when not perfect. Using variegated quilting thread adds to the interest and enjoyment and also disguises less than perfect work.

So the third piece is now demanding attention.  I'm still not confident that I will get the quilt finished for the Flower Festival but that doesn't matter because its main purpose is to be an example and a learning curve for me and anyone else who wants to try making it,.

To be continued ...


No comments:

Post a Comment