Wednesday 11 June 2014

Scrap House Quilt

Oh I'm so pleased the patchwork for the quilt is done.  It is in 3 sections ready to tackle the quilting next but I must tidy up first - bits of fabric everywhere and lots of patchwork pieces left over - I feel a mini project coming on!

In yesterday's blog I mentioned half square triangles and the multiple ways to use them in the Scrap House Quilt.  Also I have used quite a lot of curved pieces for gardens and landscape.

For a change I thought I would make some flying geese units in the way that Jane demonstrated to us at Quilting Arts last time so here are the photos.

Take one 2.5" X 4.5" rectangle in printed fabric and two 2.5" squares in plain fabric.

Fold the printed fabric in half across the 2.5" measurement.  Place this on top of a plain fabric square, folded edge at the top and 1/4" of plain showing above the fold.


 Place the second fabric square on top matching the raw edges.

With the folded edge still at the top pin and then sew the left hand edge with a scant 1/4" seam.










 Open out and press the printed fabric into a triangle as shown here.

When you have made several and want to sew them together use only a scant 1/4" seam so that you don't lose the points at the top (as you can see from the photo that is exactly what I did!)


When Jane demonstrated this technique she pointed out that the edges of the folds can be rolled and hand stitched down in the style of cathedral window quilting.  Mine shown here are just pinned in place not sewn down.


For my quilt I made a strip of these to fill the bottom corner.  They can just about be seen on the photo below.


So the next step is to put wadding and backing on the back of the three sections and do the quilting.  After that I will join them together and decide whether to add a border before binding and finishing.

Still a lot to do then!

To be continued ....

No comments:

Post a Comment