Friday 25 April 2014

Patchwork Blocks

Here is some more information about the patchwork for the large craft bag I am currently designing and making up.

We will need six blocks, not four as I said yesterday, and they will be placed two thirds down on the bag front, back and sides and can be used as pockets.

You will have to imagine the finished bag for the time being because all I have is a sketch and an image in my head.  I can show you some more detail about the patchwork section though and this will help you to decide on your own colours.  You may want to be less varied in your block design than I have been as I now can see I have thrown too many colours at it!!

This scan from my book 'The Practical Guide to Patchwork' illustrates how to do these squares in a more sober way using a feature print for the centre square and then either plain or matching prints for the outer square.  This looks more sophisticated and elegant than mine if that is what you would like.

This image will enlarge if you click on it.

Please see the previous post from yesterday for details of making up the blocks.

I made up the blocks in my chosen colours and decided to join them together in two rows of three, one row for the front and front sides of the bag and the other for the back and back sides.

But first the blocks need to be joined together with sashing in between and framed with sashing all around the edges.

This is simply strips of fabric 1.5" wide (seam allowances included).  See the photo here with the sashing in place between the blocks but not yet attached around the edges.


Please don't forget that I will be doing a worksheet and demonstrating how to do all this, these photos are merely an introduction.
 Below see some photos of the sashing in place all around the edges  and in between the blocks. 

For a cleaner more formal look you could use a high contrast sashing which would make the squares more pronounced.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment