Tuesday 12 August 2014

I'm not as think as you drunk I am ...

I have been making two blocks today which will be included in my table runner.  The two together are meant to symbolise a canal bridge.  As mentioned yesterday the theme for the runner is Inland Waterways and the runner itself shaped similar to a long boat on a canal.

My blocks will be 6" square finished size and I am using the usual 1/4" seams. My curved lines for these blocks began 4" in from the edge and I used an OmniArc ruler to draw the curves. I made plastic templates with 1/4" seams added all round.  You can see here the paper original with the plastic template including seam allowance over the top.

To draw one yourself you can use graph paper and a drawing compass.  Also some quilting or patchwork books have templates for you to copy.

After preparing the templates I copied them to freezer paper because I find cutting around freezer paper the easiest method of getting the shape on to the fabric.  Iron the freezer paper waxy side down on to the wrong side of the fabric and cut exactly around the edge.  Note:  the freezer paper pattern has seam allowances included because I copied the shape from the plastic templates.

Because I need two blocks facing in opposite directions I had to copy another set of freezer paper shapes using the plastic templates the other way around.

Matching curves needs care and the seam allowance needs to be exact.

Fold the curved edges in half and finger press firmly and then cut a tiny notch in the seam allowance.  Both edges have to be lined up at this point as well as lining up the two ends exactly.

Pin these three points then add more pins, matching the raw edges of the curves very precisely as you go.

Starting a little way in from the edge (so that the sewing machine doesn't mash up the two edges) sew carefully along the curve, right sides together) using an exact 1/4" seam.  Take care to stop the larger piece underneath from forming little pleats as you sew.  It must be totally smooth.

Press flat with the seam allowance towards the concave curve.

The seams do not have to be sewn on the machine, they can, of course, be sewn by hand and for curved seams this is often a more attractive option for many people.  Marking a seam line to sew along will help and if a curve is difficult to sew just clipping into the seam allowance along the concave curve will provide some 'give' and flexibility.

My next challenge for the runner is to make three Quilter's Fan Blocks which are even more fiddly than the Drunkard's Path ones.  I think a glass of wine will definitely be in order when I've made those.






No comments:

Post a Comment