Monday 18 August 2014

Table Runner

I have completed Module 10 and sent it off for marking.  It's always a great feeling as it disappears off down the line to the School of Stitched Textiles (SST).  Then almost immediately the next urgent craft priority takes over, so no twiddling of thumbs for me just yet.

The Table Runner was quite an enjoyable thing to make and useful too.  Not that I can use it yet.  As I near the end of my Patchwork & Quilting course I have to start preparing a Qualification Handbook which will include all that I have done on the course with photos and write-up so I need to keep everything neat and clean in case they want to see it or I need to take more photos.

The individual blocks are Rail Fence meant to illustrate the long boat fronts ploughing through the water, Drunkard's Path to represent arched bridges and Quilter's Fan to illustrate swirling river water.
I didn't quite get the shape that I wanted at the ends - a bit too curved.  Also some of the fabrics I used were lightweight and would have been improved with some interfacing to keep them flatter when sewn to the runner.  It's all a learning curve!

My final piece is to be a quilt which I have designed and sent off for approval before actually making it up.  I have decided to make it in silk (why do I never take the easy option, cotton would be so much friendlier I'm sure).  But I wanted a more exotic look for this design so I wait now to see if my tutor approves and gives me the go-ahead.

I hope those of you who read this blog will find what I will be doing in Module 11 interesting.  It is actually nearer to embroidery than quilting.

 I have to do samples of Sachiko, Banjara and Kantha which I have never tried before.  This is why I find doing a course so good for me because I am persuaded to try all kinds of things I would never do on my own.  So watch this space as they say.





No comments:

Post a Comment